An Inexpensive Grind And Brew.
In 1910 when Duncan S. Black and Alonzo G. Decker invested $1200 in opening a small machine shop in Baltimore little did they know that it would become what it is today. Although Black & Decker is primarily known for its power tools they also have a full line of home-improvement products. One of those products is a grind and brew coffee machine.
Their Mill and Brew Coffeemaker is definitely pleasing to the eye and more importantly less expensive than the other self-grinding coffee machines out there. But as with everything else in life there is a reason that it is cheaper and if you’re a true coffee aficionado these differences may be deal breakers. So we will go down through what this coffeemaker offers and you can decide whether it will be something you wish to add to your kitchen.
- The machine has a brew strength selector allowing you to select from three brews strengths, which include regular, strong and bold.
- Unlike other grind and brews on the market the grinding mechanism has been integrated with the bronze tone permanent filter basket. The grinder itself consist of the whirly bird type blades that you find in the less expensive coffee grinders. The basket is easily movable and washable for quick cleanup.
- The grinder comes with five different settings which will correlate to a number of cups that you will be brewing. This is also where you turn off the grinder if you will be using preground beans.
- The shower head that deposits the water on top of your fresh ground coffee is also removable and easily cleaned.
- Once the brewing cycle is complete a timer will pop up showing the time since the brew was completed in one minute increments. This is convenient since we know that the longer coffee sits on a hot plate the less palatable it becomes.
- A 24-hour programmable clock has been included so you can set your machine to grind/brew coffee anytime of the day or night.
- The ever popular sneak a cup feature is also present on the Mill and Brew. This little feature gives you the ability to pause the brewing cycle and get the pot back on the warming plate within 20 seconds.
- This model is available with a glass carafe.
- Easily visible and readable water level indicator.
- The footprint of the machine is 10 x 13.5 x 15.5 inches and weighs approximately 9 pounds.
- The machine currently has an incredible 4.6 stars out of 5 in the customer reviews.
- Comes with a two-year limited warranty.
We mentioned earlier that this machine is cheaper than the other grind and brews on the market and that to the tune of under $100. Here are the reasons for the low price and you can decide whether or not this will be workable for you.
- The grinder is not a conical burr grinder and simply has whirly bird type blades similar to those found in less expensive grinders. These types of blades are notorious for not creating a uniform grind and thereby affecting the quality of coffee in your cup.
- The other grind and brews on the market use a bean hopper that automatically delivers the beans into the conical burr grinder for grinding, then brewing. Placing beans in this machine will be strictly a manual process since there is no hopper or self-feed function, although this will allow you the flexibility changing your mind about what type of beans you will when you brew.
- The grind settings that are available correlate directly back to how many cups you’re going to brew. This setting simply tells the machine how long it has spin the blades to grind the volume of beans you have put in it for the specified amount of cups you’re going to brew. It does not actually give you true control over the size of the grind. That is unless you put in 3 cups worth of beans and you tell it to make 4 cups.
With all that being said though this machine is garnering some pretty high ratings with customers and they all seem to be pretty happy with a coffee they are getting from it. The reason for so many of the happy reviews is probably because a good number of these folks received the machine for free to review, but that does not account for all of them. As example here’s a representative comment from a real one of those happy buyers buyers.
Absolute Great Machine from Black & Decker, October 4, 2014
By cksound – Verified Purchase
One of the best coffee maker’s I’ve owned… it really does make a great cup of coffee… the setup was so easy the packaging was packaged perfectly from Amazon when it was shipped to me, it was actually shipped a box with in a box with in a box I was actually quite surprised with the shipping. This is a great and solid purchase from Amazon and wonderful coffee maker from Black & Decker.
One big thing I do see that this machine has going for it is simplicity. There is no automatic feed to get clogged and there is also no way that using coffee beans are too oily will clog the grinder. All of the brewing and grinding elements are easily cleanable and will thereby remove any leftover grind.
So there you have it a breakdown of Black & Decker’s self-grinding coffee maker. To get more information, read more customer reviews or to order this for yourself simply click on any image or the link below.
Some or all of the links above may be affiliate links, which means that we will be paid a small commission if you should decide to make a purchase. This in no way affects the price that you will pay for the product upon ordering.[googleplusauthor]